Why miss South Africa’s best travel destination and epic adventures? The Pondoland explorer is a 3 night adventure taking backpackers through one of the most unexplored and inaccessible parts of South Africa. Experience untouched virgin beaches, isolated and uncorrupted local communities, jump off crystal clear waterfalls, paddle amongst turtles, travel in local mini-buses, eat in local villages, ride traditional pondo ponies and all while having a well-trained guide to add to your experience.
Day 1: Port St Johns to Mtentu via Mkambati Reserve - Local mini-bus taxi, game walk and beach hike
• Meet at Amapondo Backpackers in the paradise of Port St Johns 2nd beach. Here your guide will get you ready for your adventure ahead.
• From here you will make your way into town where the guide will show you how to catch a local mini-bus and demonstrate how real locals travel.
• Arrive at Msikaba River on the border of Mkambati Nature Reserve. Cross the river and head into the wild Mkambati Game Reserve. Spot huge Eland, heartabeest, baboons, zebra and much more.
• Along the way, explore the tropical paradise of Mosquito Beach and the ship wreck of the Weol mi 303.
• At the Mkambati falls, guests can spend their time relaxing in a natural jaccuzi, marvelling at one of the few waterfalls to fall directly into the sea or look for turtles in the bay. Just behind this is Strandlooper falls where guests can swim through a stream past a baboon cave into a spectacular pool with a waterfall tumbling into it and surrounded by a stunning eden. Lunch is prepared for guests by the guide and is enjoyed from the baboon cave looking over the Stranlooper falls.
• On arrival at Mtentu, guests will be met by friendly local staff who will show them to their cabins and give them a tour of Mtentu community eco-lodge. A hearty dinner and cold beers will relax everyone and ease them into the Mtentu mood.
Day 2: Swallowtail Falls canoe trip at Mtentu
• After a good hearty breakfast, guests get ready for their trip up to Swallow tail falls.
• Canoe up the magnificent Mtentu Estuary, spotting turtles, kingfish, baboons, fish eagles and vultures.
• Paddle underneath leopards falls and gaze at the 2nd waterfall spectacularly falling into nowhere and experience the spiritual magic of centre rock and its surroundings.
• Begin the epic trip by hiking up in forest-enclosed and crystal clear tributary, climbing up rocks, swimming through pools and making your way up the side of small waterfalls.
• Experience and feel mother nature’s beauty all around you and let Swallowtail Falls show you why it is our best kept secret. Enjoy lunch at the base of the incredible waterfall.
• On the paddle back to the lodge, take a leap off the 13 meter high Fools Point into the estuary below.
• Once back at the lodge, grab a cold drink, relax around the fire and get ready for a mouth-watering dinner.
Day 3: Mtentu to Nyameni Village –Beach hike or horse ride
• After a hearty breakfast, guests get ready for their ride or hike to the traditional Xhosa village of Nyameni.
• The ride/hike will take guests along the spectacular Sikombe beach and past the naturally occurring Red Desert.
• Guests will arrive at Nyameni Village in the late afternoon. Here they will get to experience life in a traditional Pondo village. They will sleep in a traditional Rondawel with a friendly and hospitable family to look after them. Traditional food will be served and guests will get to experience local cuisine.
Day 4: Nyameni Village to the Natal South Coast – Beach hike and local mini-bus
• After a traditional breakfast, guests will get ready for their beach hike.
• From here, the guides will take the group on a 14km hike along the beach past The Mzamba Fossil Beds and through isolated rural Pondo communities. The group will reach the Mzamba River just after lunch time where they can eat and have a swim in the beautiful estuary. After lunch, guests make their way to The Wild Coast Sun.
• From here the guide will show them how to board a mini-bus taxi. The group will travel to their backpackers of choice on the Natal South Coast.
• The guide will make sure you arrive at the door of your accommodation safely.